Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Treasure Chest Cake

The original cake. Here's my disclaimer: It was 97degrees and our A/C was not working.  the chocolate fondant was sweaty so I added more sugar, which made it crumbly... this cake was the death of me!!!! I had a hard time getting the fondant smooth, it was late at night and the party was at 9am...there was no going back.
The kids loved it though.  My daughter wanted a pirate Izzy party with a chocolate treasure chest cake.
For the friend party the kids ate the top of the chest.

The revised cake. For the family party I rearranged the treasure and we had it again.
I used a chocolate cake mix and substituted the oil with applesauce, then added another tablespoon of cocoa and a teaspoon of vanilla to mask the apple taste.  The cake was very moist!
I covered it in chocolate buttercream, then in fondant.
Izzy Pirate Party activities:

  • -get quilt squares cut on a diagonal to make bandanas
  • -made a treasure chest out of cupcake boxes found at micheals with rhinestone & glittery stickers, pipe-cleaner handles attached
  • -went on a treasure hunt: pixie sticks for pixie dust, rolo's for gold, plastic coins & necklaces, ring pops for jewels, chocolate coins are great too!
  • -played a starfish ring toss game found a Zurchers

No comments: